Re: GT6 rear ends

To: "Grant Buss" <buss3@rogers.com>
Subject: Re: GT6 rear ends
From: Barry Schwartz <v6spitfireguy@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 05:25:08 -0700
the GT6 is no stronger than the Spitfire rear end of the same years.  It
uses the same parts etc.  The weakest link in the differential is the
carrier, which basically the same for those years up until 1976.  In 76 the
carrier casting was apparently strengthened (possibly because it was also
used in the TR7, but I cannot verify).  So if you want the strongest one
get a 76 or later rear end.  The biggest problem would be to find a 3.27 if
that is the gearing you want.  You can always do what I did and modify a
late 3.63 carrier to accept the 3.27 gear set by machining about .09 (
either .07 or .09 I can't remember off hand, but I have a drawing
somewhere) off the bearing surface stop on the ring gear mounting side, and
using the same thickness spacer for the bearing on the other side
(effectively shifting the whole carrier assembly over by that amount) to
allow mounting the ring gear set.  I had one in mine for over ten years
without incident - after all, unless you are going to install huge tires,
you not going to load the components a whole lot more than hard stock
usage, since once you break the tires loose...the loadings the same,  or
unless you plan on shock loading it by revving it up and dumping the clutch
a lot -

>With all the talk about GT6 rear ends, what is the best?I am going to put
a V6
>in a Spitfire and I was just going to get a GT6 rear end but which one. Or am
>I better off to look for a Corvette one?

Barry Schwartz
La Mesa, CA (San Diego)