Re: springs

To: Larry Vaughan <ljvaughan@pldi.net>
Subject: Re: springs
From: Barry Schwartz <v6spitfireguy@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 04:59:32 -0800
>I have two rigid type Spitfire springs that are way different.
<snip>
>http://ljvaughan.homestead.com/spring.html
************************************
Larry,
the spring pictured in the fore ground appears to NOT be a fixed spring but
a swing spring missing the fixed portion or bottom leaf.  Those large loops
at the end house the smaller eyes of the "fixed" portion of the spring with
the upright mounting rubber bushings inside them (I believe that this was a
safety measure to insure that in the event of a main leaf break, the only
leaf rigidly mounted to the vehicle, the upright would still be more or
less contained and prevented from flying out from under the car)  And I
have had a main leaf break!

Barry Schwartz (San Diego)