Dodged a bullet....?

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dodged a bullet....?
From: "Daniel parrott" <parrotthead01@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 18:15:57 -0500
I just got back from a short trip to the west coast.  I got to my Spit that
I left in the airport garage here in Savannah early Friday evening.  It was
75 degrees and clear as I drove home.  Nothing sweeter.

Everything was fine with the car.  I was worried a bit that I had to leave
the Spit unprotected for 3 days in a public parking deck.

I got home with no problems.  As I walked out the garage, I saw a series of
worrisome drops of oil, a string of drop, just a few inches apart.  I looked
outside to see (to my horror) a steady line of oil that was in line of my
entry into the driveway.  How much oil did I lose?  What was leaking?

Well, I checked the dipstick to find that I was down only a little over a
quart.  I cranked the engine and saw a steady stream of oil shooting (yes,
shooting) downward out of the three pronged oil pressure sending unit. I
installed a t fitting to keep the stock oil light as well as the fitting for
the Smiths dual oil/temp gage. I had plenty of oil and oil pressure, so I
figured that I made it home ok because it must have just failed.  On the way
home, I had noted that the oil pressure gauge was reading 50 psi at highway
speed, and 25 psi at idle.  I had no clue that there was a significant oil
leak.

The last time I had a oil pressure sending unit fail, it was in a 1970
Toyota Carina.  The sending unit blew out, and we went from "what's that
ticking noise?" to "clink-clink-CLUNK" in about 5 seconds.  I had to replace
the engine with a junkyard unit back when I was still in college.

I think that I dodged a bullet here.  So here's my question.  If I had lost
oil to the point that my oil pressure fell and my oil pressure "Idiot" light
came on, and if I immediately shut down the engine, would the loss of oil
pressure would have already caused significant damage?

Dan Parrott

Savannah Ga.

===     http://www.vtr.org