Re: Valve clearance for dummies?

To: "Spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Valve clearance for dummies?
From: "Nolan" <foxtrapper@ispwest.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 14:25:38 -0500
Manuals often make it entertainingly difficult to adjust valves, when in
fact it's downright easy without math or counting.

A 4 cylinder engine has a simple crankshaft.  Put the crankshaft on TDC.
That's zero on the crankshaft pulley.  Both #1 and #4 pistons are at the
top.  One of them will have the valves actuated, the other won't.  Adjust
the valves on the one that isn't actuated.  Rotate the crankshaft one time,
and do the other cylinder.

Now rotate the crankshaft half way around to BDC.  #2 and #3 are at the top.
Same procedure as above.  One set are actuated, the others aren't.  Adjust
the ones not actuated.  Rotate the crankshaft one revolution, do the other
cylinder.

Done!

The nice thing about adjusting the valves at TDC of the compression stroke
is you're far away from the cam lobe ramps, so you don't have to worry about
being perfectly positioned at TDC, just "close enough".