Bottom radiator hose disconnects itself

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Bottom radiator hose disconnects itself
From: Spitfire 1500 <s1500@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 18:40:57 -0500
With the insurance put on the Spitfire for yesterday, I thought what a
time to go out for a drive.

Things seemed okay, apart from the usual rattling(but that's a seperate
post). Upon waiting at a stoplight, I see steam emit from underneath the
  car, near the doors. I stop into a parking lot, and everything seemed
fine. The temp gage went no higher than a hairline above 3/4s.

Then I see that the hose connection at the bottom of the radiator to the
elbow is disconnected. What the heck? I didn't even fiddle with it last
year.  After negotating a gallon of coolant from a nearby
store(pre-mixed), hooking the hose back together(laying on the ground),
I was set to drive again.

Temp gauge was only a hairline after 1/4ths, then later, no further than
3/4ths. It's like the car was nowhere near close to overheating. Decided
to take a 50mph road home where I got the temp gage between 1/2 and
3/4ths. Thank my lucky stars I guess.

Any reason why a hose would disconnect like that? It's a newer hose, and
I swear I properly connected it before. It's not easy getting the clamp
around the "hump" on the rad hose end, but I think I managed it. After
getting it home. Didn't see any leaks when I parked it.
Strange...