Re: The latest brouhaha about VTR...

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>,
Subject: Re: The latest brouhaha about VTR...
From: <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 23:44:37 -0400
I think this is some of the beauty of NASS. We ALL drive 'em.
I don't think we've yet had a Spits/GT6 EVER show up at an
event that wasn't driven regularly.

I see it at local club events as all the time now. Owners of big TR's who
pay
someone big bucks (or do it themselves and still spend top dollar) to
restore cars they never drive. Heaven forbid they'd ever get wet
from mother nature!  What a waste! If you're going to do that...at least
pick some exotic or such that's a timeless classic. But an old TR?
Get real. Drive that sucker!

Yes... I too have had as many as 7 LBC's in the driveway at one time.
But EVERY single one of them was driven as regularly as possible. Co-workers
use to joke about my 'one car for each day of the week' which was
the actual intent!  My GT6 for example just towed a trailer full of stuff up
Carlisle for the weekend (trophies, food, tents, tables, etc etc) in the
rain.  Take
Otto K. and the Rumble-B Express, putting 2300+ miles on his GT6 (with
trailer) in under ten days. Then you have people like Fred T. that DOES
drive
his TR3 EVERYWHERE.

So yes..I'll agree there are plenty of Triumph owners that DO drive there
cars....
but I too have to admit I see more and more people acting like their Triumph
itself is a trophy.  Now if you have an un-restored, truly 100% original,
par excellence, SUPER low mileage car....that's a different story.
But for the rest... it's only an old sports car. Treat it as such!

(...now stepping down off the soap box.... walking away chuckling)
Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com
www.teglerizer.com