RE: My Spit is dead

To: "'Martin Pearce'" <dungey@pearcem95.freeserve.co.uk>,
Subject: RE: My Spit is dead
From: "Bill Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 22:20:28 +0100

Hi Martin,
The Pertronix unit has a generally good reputation for reliability.
There is no denying that the quality of currently available ignition
consumables leaves a lot to be desired, failure of rotor arms and
distributor caps being quite common. In my experience these components are
more prone to failure on vehicles with electronic ignition and/or an uprated
coil. A marginal component might operate in a satisfactory manner under
"normal" conditions, but increasing the current through the components can
push them over the edge.
Just a few thoughts,
Cheers,
Bill.