RE: Pain in the...

To: Jarrod.Jones@jobcentreplus.gsi.gov.uk ("Jones Jarrod JCP"),
Subject: RE: Pain in the...
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 11:22:49 -0400
In a message dated 5/4/2005 9:47:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "Jones Jarrod
JCP" <Jarrod.Jones@jobcentreplus.gsi.gov.uk> writes:

>Im going to swap the right and left hubs tonight as I have a suspicion that
>this may be the cause. If I swap then then hopefully I will be able to
>eliminate that or find the problem. When you look at the wheel spinning from
>the back of the car it seems to wobble yes. Would this have cause the damage
>that happened to my diff? ie lots of bolts out leading to casing getting
>snapped!

=======
Wow! Swapping hubs can be quite the chore...and almost impossible without the
correct puller (i.e., you might well bend good hubs without said correct
puller)!

I'd start first with swapping just wheels side-to-side and seeing what happens.
I'd also consider getting the car up SECURELY on stands and then running the
engine with the car in gear. I'd want to then carefully try to determine
exactly what is wobbling (if not the wheel or wheels). A bent hub probably
would "wobble" only in itself; you might need to remove the drum as well as the
wheel to be able to see this. A bent axle would likely cause the entire
assembly (drum, backing plate, etc.) to wobble.

And while you're "in the air," check everything else, of course: bushings,
bolts, u-joint, loose brake backing plate, etc.

Good luck; I'll be curious to know what you find. And yes, I suppose that some
moderate fault with an axle assembly might cause enough vibration/strain to
ultimately damage a differential in some way. In fact, I suspect that my not
catching a bad axle u-joint early on is a possible explanation for my ruining
the bearing on the inner axle (don't think I trashed the whole differential,
but I've yet to take it apart to see, having simply plugged another diff. into
the car)!

--Andy Mace