RE: Boot Rack on roundtail?

To: <public@sweavo.34sp.com>, "spitfires list"
Subject: RE: Boot Rack on roundtail?
From: "Chris Foster" <cfoster@eppcon.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 12:43:38 -0400
Steve et. al.

I've had an idea for a while that might have some merit here so I'll
throw it out and see what people think.

Generally speaking because the Triumph frames are hollow and have
mounting holes at the ends, it should not be that hard to mount a
trailer hitch without having to modify the frame.  If you use a Class I
hidden hitch, you can then grab a bike rack from Crappy Tire (or the US
equivalent) that mounts to the Class I insert - they look great and hold
everything away from the car.

I always saw this as a nice clean way to carry bikes - I've been
specifically thinking about it for my TR6, but I would think it should
also work for a Spit.

Although I'm thinking of bikes, once you have this nice rack that does
not touch / damage the car, it should be relatively easy to use it for
whatever additional capacity you need - they also make straight carrying
racks that go into the trailer hitch insert.

Anyways, it's just a thought - one I've been thinking about for a while,
but never done anything about.  And since I just sold my Spit, it might
be a while before I go trying it on anything other than the TR6.

Good luck!
c.

'76 TR6 - CF53954U
'76 Spitfire - FM47622 (Sold - new owner picks it up Saturday)