Re: Fitting a Rimmer Bros exhaust to MkII

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fitting a Rimmer Bros exhaust to MkII
From: "Steve Carter" <public@sweavo.34sp.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 19:42:05 +0100
Thanks for the info and wishes guys!

From: <metaz@knology.net>
To: <public@sweavo.34sp.com>

> I installed one of their exhaust kits on my 76 and everything went well.
> The only thing that I had to purchase extra were some better mounting
> brakets that I picked up at an auto parts place.  But if you purchased one
> of their stock kits, it might not be that bad.

Cool.  I've just had all the parts out on the floor and it looks like the
brackets they gave me will be suitable.

From: "Martin Pearce" <dungey@pearcem95.freeserve.co.uk>
To: <public@sweavo.34sp.com>

> I think it all depends on the state of the exhaust on your MkII.  Fitting
> new exhaust isnt a problem, its removing the old one!

Heh, well I KNOW there won't be a problem under the car, as the pipes are
practically falling off the car!  The manifold studs may be more of an issue
though...  I have a new four-branch manifold too, and I'm hoping that I'll
figure a way to get that on the car wil a minimum  of faffing.  I guess
trying to skip the "partially drain the cooling system" stage of removing
the inlet manifold is a good way to make your project last twice as long...

> Putting the new one on was fairly easy, on difficulty was in getting used
> the exhaust compound

... ah! this is what I'm missing.  Good call.

> All in all, it took the whole weekend.  Good luck in trying to do it in
one
> morning.

Urg.  Thanks, I think!

I reckon if I get the old system off inside an hour then I'll go for it.  If
it takes longer then I'll give it two hours then stop work, clean up and go
in the ford (patooey!)