Re: Paint choices?

To: Ken Strayhorn <ken@dukecomm.duke.edu>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Paint choices?
From: "M D \"Doc\" Nugent" <docnugent@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 10:33:01 -0700 (PDT)
I'll assume you have sprayed on a good primer/sealer
(e.g., PPG's DP) already and know how to prepare it
for paint.  To answer you question, though, I think
Triumph was using synthetic enamel in 1972 (if the
"original" paint is all original), but applying a
primer/sealer will take care of any problems that
might arise between old and new paint.

Now, for paint, here are my recommendations - both are
acrylic enamel:
a) If you want the high gloss modern cars have, I'd
recommend PPG's DBC unless you're in the SoCal to
Texas area, then DBU.  Both are "2k" which means you
apply a rather dull color coat and then add a high
gloss clearcoat.
- OR -
b) If you want paint that looks original to 1972, I'd
recommend PPG's Omni.  It's a "1k" which means the
color coat is glossy, but not as much as a clearcoat
would be (you don't use clear over it, either).  1k is
a lot cheaper than 2k.

I'd go Omni for price, ease of touching up, and
originality, but that's up to you.

Either way, pose the questions you have to your local
automotive paint store (not a car parts store or Home
Depot).  Ask for the "P-sheets" for each product above
- they're very informative.  Get price quotes, etc.

M D "Doc" Nugent, painter of two complete cars and
graduate of the local community college's automotive
painting course!