Re: Wood Dash Veneer

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wood Dash Veneer
From: "STEVE STERN" <MACHINEMD@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 09:59:22 -0400

> John Reynolds wrote:
>
> Hello Listers,
> I need to restore the dash on my 1979 Spitfire to the
> original configuration. Does anyone know the type of
> wood veneer used on the original dash? Also, does
> anyone know of a restorer who can fix the
> delaminations on the original parts and install the
> veneer? Any leads will be appreciated.

John,
Did mine over the winter. The hardest part is getting it out and even that's
not too difficult! A local guy who stocks 30+ veneers advised me that contact
cement is the recommended adhesive. Took his advice and had no problem. I used
a waterproof glue and clamps to glue up any delaminations, vibrating sander to
break thru the old varnish, glued the new veneer, carefully used a dremel with
a carbide bit to recut the gauge holes, and as advised used 5 coats of a spray
spar varnish to finish. Came out gorgeous. I was advised tho to pick a
different veneer as the original french oak is not readily available. If you
need a source try
http://www.boulterplywood.com/<http://www.boulterplywood.com/> . They have
great pix and ship and are reasonable. The minimum 1/4 sheet is enough to do 3
dashes. Do it, it's easy.
Steve