Re: Wood Dash Veneer

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wood Dash Veneer
From: Jambone <jambone6@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 09:31:58 -0700 (PDT)
I seem to remember hearing that the original veneer was "French Walnut"?  At
any rate, I went to a local wood shop and got a sheet of regular walnut.  Like
Steve, I used contact cement and had no issues.  I did have to repair the
plywood backing with wood filler first though.  I too used a Dremel to cut out
the gauge holes.  I then finished it with many coats of glossy polyurethane
that I knocked down with steel wool.  I am very happy with my results - looks
the same color and grain as the original, and it doesn't have all the cracks
and chips!  :^)

Cheers!
Brian