Re: 2400 RPM Whistle

To: drsnydr@comcast.net
Subject: Re: 2400 RPM Whistle
From: Ken Strayhorn <ken@dukecomm.duke.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 09:28:59 -0400
On Wednesday, May 5, 2004, at 09:05 AM, drsnydr@comcast.net wrote:

> I have an aggravating sound (whistle, whine, shriek?) that comes from
> the engine bay whenever the tach reads 2400 RPM.  Not 2300, not 2500
> (well, maybe).

Alternator. Mine has done this for almost two decades now. My Volvo
also does it when the battery gets a bit low in the winter and the
alternator has more than it's usual load on it.

> I don't know if it's relevant, but other mods are an electric fan
> w/thermostat, . . . , and Crane electronic ignition.

Mine started doing it right after I added the electronic ignition, plus
a stereo system with enough oomph to be heard
with the top down.

When I was a younger man, the advent of the whistle would sometimes
make the Sweet Young Thing in the
right seat say: "What's that?" to which I would always respond: "The
car is about to blow up - quick, give me a kiss
before we both die."

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC
'72 MkIV