2400 RPM Whistle

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: 2400 RPM Whistle
From: drsnydr@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 13:05:44 +0000
Once again I come to sip from this fountain of knowledge.  One of these days I
hope to know enough to actually ANSWER somebody else's question.

I have an aggravating sound (whistle, whine, shriek?) that comes from the
engine bay whenever the tach reads 2400 RPM.  Not 2300, not 2500 (well, maybe).
It happens while accelerating, and also decelerating.  I've tried to locate the
source of the sound, but I swear it seems to come from everywhere.  I've
sprayed belt dressing, thinking if it was a belt that would at least stop it
for a moment.

I have a '76 Fed. Spitfire with a weber downdraft carb. and no overdrive.  I
don't know if it's relevant, but other mods are an electric fan w/thermostat,
headers with Bell SS exhaust, and Crane electronic ignition.  You'd think it
would be no big deal since it effects such a small part of the power curve, but
it's amazing how often the car seems to want to "settle down" right at the
2400-2500 RPM mark (at least in 3d and 4th).  As always, thanks in advance for
any thoughts you guys might have as to possible culprits/solutions.