Re: Oil Filter Recommendations

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil Filter Recommendations
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:55:46 -0700 (PDT)
Even though FRAM is the most advertised filter on the
american market, it is constantly condemned as being
the worst out there.
The bypass valve is plastic, the back plates are thin,
the surface area is 60% of that of other similarly
priced filters (wix, purolator and champ). I had
always heard that the frams had no anti-back flow, but
that might be an urban myth.
Now, you may have either gotten another Fram screw up
(maybe someone put the wrong filter in that box ), or
maybe Fram has re-designed their filters to look the
same but use less filter paper to increase their
profit margin, OR maybe you've gotten a first
generation uprated 3185 filter (not likely).
Here's a copy of the study on oil filters that used to
be posted in VTR before thier webpage disappeared:
http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/
I like the Crosslands (They come with the stock
spitfire .5" to .5" adapter in each filter box) though
they are pricey at $5 ea. (You can save a little if
you buy in bulk).
Anyone need some screw on adapters? I think I have a
box somewhere of about 10 of them! (sometimes they are
missing out of the box otherwise there would be more)
-Terry T.
http://www.firespitter.com/spitfire.html