Re: Oil Filter Recommendations

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil Filter Recommendations
From: Ken Strayhorn <ken@dukecomm.duke.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 11:01:08 -0400
On Tuesday, April 20, 2004, at 10:19 AM, Mike Chmura wrote:

> I have been using the FRAM PH3816 oil filter in my 78 Spit for several
> years but I recently purchase several new ones and have found that
> these
> new ones are slightly different.   I went to change the oil yesterday
> and found that the threaded receiving area on the new filter was
> further
> recessed than my old one making it virtually impossible to screw on
> unless I unscrewed the adapter on the engine block, which would leave
> less threads attached to the engine block.

Mike -

I noticed about a year ago that Fram oil filters had declined severely
in quality, to the
point I quit using them. I know that Fram was acquired by Allied Signal
company
about 2 years ago, perhaps they've decided to cut costs by cutting
quality. The final
blow was when a Fram on my Volvo  burst along the seams at start up.
I'm not a
scientist or metalurgist by any means, but the interior just looked
cheap and the
filter element seemed like it was made of toilet paper.

Now I use Purolator filters for all my autos. They are available at all
the usual
auto parts places and they fit. For me there's the extra bonus that
they are
made down the road in Charlotte. The Triumph filter fits the adapter
plate
on the side of the engine perfectly.

Before I starting using Purolators on the Triumph, I always got either
GUD
or Mann filters from my local import auto parts shop.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC
'72 MkIV