Re: Defroster hose

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Defroster hose
From: Ken Strayhorn <ken@dukecomm.duke.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 11:38:03 -0400
On Thursday, April 15, 2004, at 10:05 AM, Tim Schuh wrote:

> The PO of my 76 Spit 1500 used generic heater hose on the valve for
> the defroster.  It doesn't like to make the 90 degree bend and has
> basically collapsed.  I can't find the part on spitbits.com and I
> don't yet have any of the catalogs I've ordered.  Is this a hose I can
> source from a generic autoparts store such as O'Reillys, PepBoys,
> AutoZone, etc?

A surprising number of "generic" hoses can be cut to fit our needs.
Take in the old hose, find one with a 90-degree bend and the correct
I.D., and never mind the length - that's what stout scissors are for.

A few years ago I was stuck on a Sunday with a split heater hose and no
car parts stores open (this in the days before AutoZone, etc). So I
went to a home improvement store and bought a copper plumbing elbow of
the correct size. Using generic heater hose from my spares bin, I cut
two lengths, installed the elbow in the desired location, and figured
that one day I'd order a proper hose. Well, that's been almost a decade
and it's still on the car.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC
'72 MkIV