Re: Spitfire Dash lights

To: Jim Muller <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Spitfire Dash lights
From: Andrew Beck <abeck@ica.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 21:58:54 -0400
On 4/11/04 6:27 PM, "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net> wrote:

> Andrew Beck wrote:
>>
>> 1979 Triumph Spitfire
>> I have this red wire hanging out from the left hand side of the dash
>
> Andrew (et al.), I've been looking at the wiring diagrams for the
> various model years of N. American spec Spitfires.  Are you sure all
> your external lights and dash lights and map light work???
>
> According to the diagrams for '78 and later, power goes from the
> master light switch to a branch via a Red/Green wire.  From that
> branch, red wires feed the map light, a bunch of parking lights and
> side markers, and the dash light rheostat.  Still on the powered side
> of the rheostat, another branch of red wires carries power to the
> rest of the parking lights and side markers.  The rheostat itself
> powers the dash lights via Red/White wires.  The various buzzer items
> such as seatbelt/seat switches, key-in-ignition, door-open wires are
> *not* red and not powered from the same source.
>
> So unless a PO/DPO re-wired your lights, you have to ask "Are you
> **SURE** all your external lights work?"

Checked this today...  Buzzer for seatbelts, etc works ...uh.... Sometimes.

Dash lights work and dim.  All gauges light up and work.  Interior lights
work.  Map light works (believe it or not).  You mention parking lights and
side markers -- how do I turn these on?  Is that via the headlight switch in
the centre of the dash?

Hmmm...  I can take a digital photo of the switch and send it to you (I know
the mailing list people don't like photos).

Oh -- by the way -- Jim, where are you located?