Re: SU float bowl overflows

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <nass@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Re: SU float bowl overflows
From: Alan Lemen <ralemen@cableone.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 07:18:27 -0700
I have a similar problem with my twin HS4. The fuel bubbles up through the carbs
when I stop and the heat soaks in.
I have obtained a couple of MGB insulating blocks that I am working right now to
fit to hopefully stop the probem. Won't know until the weekend though how
successful this has been. Hopefully the insualtion and the extra distance will
help. Teh manifold is already wrapped and I have heat shilding and air ducting,
but nothing stops the direct transfer through the manifold as it's fine running
(
i.e moving with air flow)

Alan.

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 06:31 , 'Nolan Penney' <npenney@mde.state.md.us> sent:

>I had a lot of trouble with my SU's overflowing from the vents.  Several things
contributed to the problem.

>First was fuel pressure.  The replacement pump I had provided too much fuel
pressure.  An inline regulator greatly helped this problem.

>Second was my float bushings.  Until I got a correct oem SU set, I had quite a
bit of vibration of the bowl.  It wasn't apparent until I replaced the bushings
with the correct ones.  The difference was night and day.

>Third was heat from the manifold.  This one still isn't as licked as I'd like
>it
to be, as sitting in heavy traffic on a hot day still can get my fuel bowls
percolating.  At the least, they fume strongly under these conditions.  Driving
along things are fine.