SU float bowl overflows

To: Nass List <nass@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: SU float bowl overflows
From: "George P." <spitdriver78@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 19:21:53 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Listers,

Well, I finally got to tinker with the Spit tonight.  Started redoing the
fuel/vent hose routings.  I've never had my valve cover vent go into the carbs,
only into the charcoal canister - how big of a difference will this make, if
any, with respect to how the engine runs?  Or should I just leave it venting to
just the charcoal canister?

Ever since I've put these SUs on, one of my nagging problems is float bowl
overflow.  I've tried the gross-jets, the "standard" needle valves, cleaning
everything, adjusting float height (as much as is possible/practical given the
plastic floats), but they still overflow a bit through the vents.

Now these float bowl covers aren't really right (I think) for my Spit because
the fuel feeds first into the rear carb, then into the front carb.  I suspect
it should feed into the front carb first, but that's just the way these float
bowl covers are configured.

Anyway, I've had the rear carb vent go to a "T" at the front carb, then I had a
long extension run in front of the radiator to the drivers side and down near
the front suspension, on the outside of the frame rails.  I figure if it's
going to leak some gas through these vents, I want it draining as far away from
the exhaust as possible.

However, I've never really considered that an "elegant" solution, what with
those hoses running all over the place.  So tonight, I looked for a place that
I could run the overflow that was away from the exhaust, but not leave me with
hoses all over.

I found a small hole in the frame, for which I surprisingly had just the right
size grommet, that is low and outside, just behind the RF wheel.  My thinking
is to run the vent from the front carb, back to a "T" at the rear carb, and
then down through a copper tube that fits just perfectly through this grommeted
hole.  (I have a picture I can send to anyone interested, it's a 56K jpeg)   Of
course, one thought I *just* had is if the inner fender well will interfere
with this hose/pipe....  Hmmmm......  I don't *think* so....

But my question remains - Am I still too close to the exhaust for a float bowl
overflow???

Thanks,

George P.

George P.