RE: Thin lug nuts - source

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Thin lug nuts - source
From: "M D \"Doc\" Nugent" <docnugent@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 16:15:06 -0800 (PST)
Thanks, Peter, I figured I'd do that, too, (although
VB lists only one stud part number for all types of
wheels) but my issue is with the nuts.  I used PlayDoh
to determine where the interference was, and the nuts
are the immediate problem.

VB lists part number 12-8046 as the correct nut for
splined adapters, and part number 18-191 as the
correct nut for stamped steel wheels (they also list
12-3687 for bolt-on wire wheels, but that's not what I
have).  I have some TR2-3-4 adapter nuts and the
thickness is roughly half (too bad they're 7/16"
instead of 3/8").

Jeff has a page on the problem
(http://www.totallytriumph.net/spitfire/hard_lesson.shtml),
but he says SpitBits has the shorter nuts and they
tell me they're all the same.

M D "Doc" Nugent