frame prep

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: frame prep
From: "Larry Vaughan" <lvaughan@pldi.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 18:34:56 -0500
I have one of my frames stripped and have run into some anomalies. I removed
the sway bar from the '77 and the '73 and when I checked them out, to see
which was in the best condition, I had one with the ends drilled off center.
I chose the one with the ends drilled in the center but didn't keep track of
which ends went with each sway bar.
When I got around to cleaning the parts up, for paint and poly bushings, the
ends had different widths.
The poly bushings looked like they were made for the narrowest ends.
I've not seen this mentioned before.
The '77 frame has a cut out, at the exhaust downpipe. I thought this was a
factory change, from the '73. Now I'm not sure. The A-frame bolt at that
point, was cut shorter-hacksaw. The opposite A-frame had all the shims, for
alignment.
Now I've got to strip the '73 frame, to see if I can tell which is
straighter.
Anyone have any experience with this type of stuff?

Larry