Tragic News

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tragic News
From: "Gosling, Richard B" <Richard.Gosling@atkinsglobal.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:53:06 +0100
Sad news, I'm afraid (members of the TTN will already know this) - Daffy has
failed her MOT.  Terminally.  I had got all the mechanical stuff sorted, but
the tester failed her on a lot of different rust areas.  After much
soul-searching, I have come to the realistic decision that this body-tub
contains so much rust that it is not practicable to fix it up properly.  I
could patch up the immediate failure points and keep going for another year
(as I have been doing since I bought Daffy almost exactly 5 years ago), but
that in itself will be pretty pricey, and the problem will undoubtably be
worse still next year.

So, Daffy is being stuck away in a dry garage, pending possible
resuscitation in a few years when finances allow - or a decision to do
something else.  If a rust-free tub should come my way, that would be the
ideal solution (and I am kicking myself black and blue for failing to buy
one I saw for sale a couple of months ago), but it's not something that
appears frequently in Aberdeenshire.  If you all (at least those in the UK)
keep your eyes open for a CHEAP rust-free tub, I'd be interested.

Failing that, I am considering a Hurricane - a fibre-glass body that is a
direct replacement for the steel body-tub and bonnet, and you just put all
the same internal bits back in again.  A good solution, but it'll cost
#3000, plus painting, which I don't have now and am unlikely to have for a
couple of years at least.  Also, if I had #4000 burning a hole in my pocket,
I'd be very tempted to buy a Stag instead...

So, for the immediate future I shall be Spit-less.  I'll still subscribe,
and contribute, to the Spitfire List - I've built up too much camaraderie
around here to let that go, even if I never own a running Triumph again!

Richard & Daffy (in indefinite hibernation)

This email and any attached files are confidential and copyright protected.
If you are not the addressee, any dissemination of this communication is
strictly prohibited. Unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing, nothing
stated in this communication shall be legally binding.