Squeaky Front End

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Squeaky Front End
From: "Mike Chmura" <m.chmura@umassp.edu>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 11:26:46 -0400
Hello Listers,

I have a 78 Spit whose front-end sounds a little like a door opening on
a haunted house.  I plan at some point to redo the bushings but haven't
done it yet. It seems to get a little worse after the car has been
driven.  I can hear it especially when I return the car to it's garage
because I'm going slow and the sound is contained within the walls of
the garage.

My question is, would spraying something like WD40 at points of
suspension movement work or is that a MAJOR NO NO?  The passenger side
seems more creaky than the driver's side.  I can make the sound happen
just by grabbing the front bumper and pulling up then pushing down.   Is
there something other than WD40 that might work?  The sound doesn't
appear to be a problem for the car's functionality, just a bother to me.

Thx in advance for any advice.

-mike chmura