RE: Squeaky Front End

To: "'Mike Chmura'" <m.chmura@umassp.edu>,
Subject: RE: Squeaky Front End
From: "Gosling, Richard B" <Richard.Gosling@atkinsglobal.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 16:35:12 +0100
Mike,

I can't see WD40 doing any harm, so spray away, but I wouldn't count on it
to alleviate the symptoms either!  It might, it might not...

I would suggest doing some diagnostic work, bouncing the car up and down
while you listen carefully to see if you can identify where the squeak is
coming from (assuming there is only one source!).  If I had to hazard a
guess, I'd start with the trunnion bushings - these seem to wear out quite
quickly, and and regular replacement is good practice.  Having said that,
bushes aren't expensive, so giving a day over to replacing the whole damned
lot would probably be time well spent (now I need to start practicing what I
preach!).  If you do, I'd advise buying new nuts and bolts all round -
there's nothing worse than spending half an hour fighting a rusty nut off a
rusty bolt, only to have to repeat the process putting it back.  Plus the
knowledge that the 25-year-old bolt might not be as strong as it should.
Plus the fact that the rust makes tightening to the correct torque settings
a totally meaningless procedure.

Apparently the washing-up-liquid I have been using to aid installation of my
bushes is not such a good idea, as it is full of salt which does bad things.
Can't remember what else was suggested, but Vaseline might be a good
approach.

Richard & Daffy