Fw: Family addition - longish

To: "spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Family addition - longish
From: "griffco" <griffco@griffco.ca>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 09:30:02 -0600
Hi all, been some time since I've written - been busy.

I finally fired up my '74 restoration.  First turn of the key - if you don't
count Mr. Lucas's intervention.  I had tested all the electrics, even cranked
the starter instantaneously with out petrol.  Every thing worked.

So when I put petrol in it, took out the plugs and spun the motor with the
starter - all was well.  Then I left it for a day (usual interruptions).  When
I tried the starter again - nothing, not even  a click.  I checked the voltage
at various points and all was well.  So I removed the solenoid.  Worked on the
bench, so I installed it again.  Discovered this time that the earth wire was
not making good contact with the newly painted solenoid. It had before, but
for some reason wasn't now.

After adding another star washer, turned the key again and the motor burst
into live - but - wanted to rev up to 3000 before I could get the key off.

It ran, but too well.  The problem was the carb.  Found a site on the internet
that explained the problem perfectly (both the Haynes Spitfire, and the Haynes
Zenith book were blank on that problem).  All is well now.  Registration next
week.

In the meantime my wife and I went to Vancouver for a holiday AND to look at
another LBC.  Rather this is a Large British Car.  It was her birthday so we
agreed she could have her long term dream - to own a short wheel base Land
Rover.

Found a 1966 SWM Series 2A station wagon with safari top.  Only problem was
that the steering box was in pieces with a broken bearing.  Bought it anyway
and it is due by train next week.

Guess I'll have to join the LR list!  This restoration should be a challenge.

Cheers, Fred