Re: Photographic proof

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Photographic proof
From: "Larry Vaughan" <lvaughan@pldi.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 17:28:19 -0600
I will be starting up a rebuilt motor soon. Is 20-50 the correct break in
oil?
I have a problem with the motor I am rebuilding. The original Stromberg carb
shot a stream of gas out of a hole, but ran if some one held a finger on it.
I ran a single 40DCOE18 with good results for a very brief period. I then
traded the 18 for a 3, so I would have a matched set of webers. I never ran
the dual 40DCOE3 setup before I put the motor in the shop. I Began to worry
about the initial break in with untried Webers, new cam etc. I bought a pair
of SU carbs from John Esposito, $175.00 on ebay, and will run the stock cam
till I get the carbs working. The motor will be stock European spec
basically. The cylinders will be honed standard size with 9 to 1 pistons. If
the SU carbs are totally out of whack and I can't get the damn thing to run
initially, will I ruin the cylinders?
I am gettig very anxious about this!!
Larry