RE: Photographic proof

To: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Photographic proof
From: Ken Strayhorn <ken@dukecomm.duke.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 09:53:12 -0500
At 2:12 PM +0000 12/10/02, Richard Gosling wrote:

>Is that black paint on the number plate panel original?  I vaguely remember
>someone saying that Triumph did this for a year or so, but can't remember
>the details.  Maybe it was a US-market only thing?  I know that the Toledo
>(small early-70s saloon car) had a black panel at the back in a similar way.

Yep, the black rear panel is original.  On the two occasions I've
had the car painted, I've had to point out to the paint guys to leave
it black.  I bought the car with 32,000 miles on it from a guy
who had bought it for his daughter, who didn't like it because of
no A/C. He hadn't done a thing to it except normal maintenance,
so it's as delivered from the dealer in August 1972 (built June).

The '72 MkIV seems to be an odd duck in many ways, and I suppose
that black panel is just one of the oddities.  I've learned over
the years when buying replacement parts that the best policy is to
take the old part to the store or swap meet and match them
up to the new part.

And speaking of which, if anyone has a line on a vacuum module
for a Delco-Remy distributor, or any idea where to find one,
please let me know.  I know that many people feel it's OK to
just disconnect the module and run on mechanical advance
alone, but my mechanic (Dave Crane, whose advice I regard
as coming from the burning bush) says he prefers to have it
on and operating when tuning for best power.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC