RE: hi I'm new here, I've got a 1980 spitfire 1500..

To: Choices98@aol.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: hi I'm new here, I've got a 1980 spitfire 1500..
From: Daniel Parrott <parrotthead01@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 07:19:51 -0400
I also have a 1980 Spitfire.  Where are you located?

Sounds like you have excessive blow-by past the rings.  Gasses from the
combustion "blows by" the rings, which builds up the pressure in the
crankcase, which pushes the oil out of every orifice, especially the dip
stick hole.  How 's your EGR system?  It's supposed to re-circulate the
crankcase gasses to the carb and burn them with the incoming air.  It may be
blocked or otherwise non-functioning.

I had a similar experience a couple of years ago.  After a long drive, I
would find oil everywhere around the dipstick, including burning on the
exhaust system.  I did a compression test on each cylinder and found that
the pressure for my Spit was 150 psi for cylinder #1, 140 psi for #2, 130
psi for #3 and 90 psi for #4.  I shot a tablespoon of oil into the sparkplug
hole and repeated the compression test, and I got 160 psi across each
cylinder.  This told me that it was the rings.  Just my experience.

Dan Parrott
Savannah, Ga
1980 Spit "PJ"