Rear Brakes

To: "spit" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear Brakes
From: "Martin Pearce" <dungey@pearcem95.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 16:12:47 +0100
Question for the group....

On the rear brakes on a Mk1 Spit, should the cylinder work normally with the
drum removed?

Part of my MOT failure was the rear brakes pulling unevenly.  After using an
impact screwdriver to remove the screws holding the drum and much bashing to
remove the drum (yes I turned the small adjustment screw to disengage the
pads) the brakes were finally revealed.  The shoes were very well worn at
the top on both sides.

I wanted to see what happened when the brakes were applied (ie was there
uneven pressure on the pads causing the problem).  The first press of the
pedal moved the left hand pad out but not the right.  Second press caused
the rubber to break and spray brake fluid all over the place.  Should you
get this reaction?  My thought is no but I wondered if I was being stupid in
that the brakes should only be applied with the drum in place.  Obviously I
am now looking at new brake cylinders.

Do feel that I take two steps back to gain one forward sometimes......

Martin

---