Re: hi I'm new here, I've got a 1980 spitfire 1500..

To: Choices98@aol.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: hi I'm new here, I've got a 1980 spitfire 1500..
From: Dan Canaan <flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 10:41:21 -0700
At 01:18 AM 10/20/02 -0400, Choices98@aol.com wrote:
>Hi, I have a 1980 spitfire 1500 that runs very well and strong too! A curious
>thing is hapening though. I smelt oil burning, and thought perhaps it was
>just residue left on the engine since it had been sitting for awile, however
>on closer inspection, it is spilling out from the dipstick stem,  I recently
>changed the oil and put the proper amount in (4 quarts according to the
>manual). Does anyone have any idea what is happening here, it's definately
>not getting hot enough to boil over.

Welcome to the list!  It's a great bunch of people who are all dedicated to
keeping our Triumphs on the road, not in the garage... although they spend
their fair share of time there too. :)

Oil coming from the dipstick means the crankcase is becoming
pressurized.  I would look for a stuck PCV valve from the valve cover to
the intake manifold/carb setup.  The valve vents the fumes and such from
the crankcase to the intake where it can be burned off with the rest of the
gasses.

This area can get pressurized from normal operation, but if it becomes
really excessive and the PCV valve is fine, you might have a set of rings
going bad, letting compression from the cylinders leak through to the oil pan.

-Vegaman Dan