RIP Spitfire..... diagnosis?....

To: Spit <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RIP Spitfire..... diagnosis?....
From: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 16:07:51 +0100
Dear Listers,

This is a group reply, but I will reply to each of you individually.

You are all just the best! I've given myself a good shake, and after
reading your replies, I've sort of got my thoughts together just a
little more. Though Im still in a rather volatile emotional state.

Ok, let me explain how I got the diagnosis.

My Mum took the car to the local garage in Chingford (Im in Bromley, and
the car is in Chingford at the moment)

The garage used to be a Triumph dealer, and still has a Triumph "guru"
there. They mostly do modern stuff now, but the guy there told me (I
phoned him after he looked at it) he'd take a look at it for me, even
though he wouldn't entirely be happy to actually do the job. He seems a
real enthusiast, and I think his Triumph knowledge isn't in to much
demand these days - so maybe he liked a challege. So he was good enough
to take a look at it for me.

This is what he told me, if my memory from a couple of hours still makes
sense.

The main bearings have gone, and it seems that they have been like this
for a while (which is news to me, although I possibly drove the car like
that for maybe 30 miles whilst it was making a noise, it wasnt making
the noise when I arrived at Duxford)

So he reckons that because its been like this for a while, the
crankshaft (possibly, you all know what Im like with terminology) will
have gone "oval" - so I would need a new crankshaft. Allegedly this is
meant to be a big job, and it probably also means that the piston
something-or-other also need doing, therefore everything else may as
well be replaced etc etc etc.

On to the gearbox, syncro on 1st and 3rd have gone completly (it still
changes gear - I thought it was a bit rough - but it was fine really) So
he reckons the gearbox needs to be replaced.

He also mentioned that the rear spring was saggy - but Im not too
worried about that at the moment - I reckon the shocks need changing.

Now, on to the price, thats the price TRGB quoted me, for the engine and
the gearbox to be reconditioned, and that was worse case where
everything needs to be done. The price included transportation from
Chingford up to them, which is 75 pounds.

Now, on the advice of Bill, I've had a look in Loot (classified ads) and
found a guy selling a some Triumph spares (1500 engine, overdrive, and a
few other misc bits) which is not too far from Chingford, about 20
minutes away in fact. Im yet to phone up, but will do to find out some
more. (There was a more interesting ad of a complete 1500 in all the way
over in chester selling for 300 pounds - it has a "very good engine" -
I'd buy it if it werent so far away and if I had somewhere to store the
thing)

The trouble is again, trying to figure out a way of transporting stuff -
I guess an engine will fit in the boot of my Dads car. And where to do
the work, having no garage. Unless of course I get the local garage to
do it.

Again, thank you everyone for your support, both emotional and
technical.

James