Re: RIP Spitfire? I want to cry... x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>,
Subject: Re: RIP Spitfire? I want to cry... x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 16:23:25 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: James Carruthers <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>

> To fix the engine and gearbox, I have been quoted 2000, thats for my
> engine to be reconditioned and a new gearbox.

Hi James,
    First of all calm down and consider your options. So a new engine and
gearbox might cost that much, but could certainly be bought cheaper. Why do you
need a new gearbox as well? The symptoms you described sounded engine specific.
Who actually quoted the prices and what was their reasoning? I'd certainly get
a second opinion. If you're a member of the TSSC or Club Triumph ask the
resident experts in your local area to take a look. They'll also be good for
recommendations on reputable places to get it fixed.
    My own approach would be to find a Dolomite 1300 or 1500 engine and drop
that in - all you should need to change is the sump and possibly the
flywheel/clutch, all of which would come off your old engine. Scrap Dollys have
very low value so you should be able to pick up a rusty but mechanically good
one for about a hundred quid. Take a look in LOOT as it's an excellent hunting
ground for cheap parts and complete vehicles - I've found and bought plenty of
cars through their website www.loot.com and I'm not even in the right catchment
area! Even the Dolomite gearbox can be used if needed. If you don't have the
inclination (or space) to do the work yourself, the swap would be less than a
day's work for even the worst mechanic, so labour shouldn't be extortionate.
    It's not the end of the world..... just look at your options rationally and
I'm sure you'll find a way through this,
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--
Rarebits4classics