Re: RIP Spitfire? I want to cry...

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RIP Spitfire? I want to cry...
From: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 07:44:06 -0700 (PDT)
I know exactly how you feel mate, I've been there, done that.

>From the symptoms it sounds like a bottom end problem in the engine.  I
believe you could pick up a short engine for about #400 and re-use the
old head assuming that it's ok.  Did you take a look at the rockers to
see if there was any problem there?

I got a garage to fit my engine for about #100, not very reputable, but
they were cheap.  I believe that the spitfire graveyard would sell you a
2nd hand engine for about #200/250, although there is no guaruntee of the
quality here.  I'll ask them for you if you like.

I'm not sure why you would need a new gearbox but if you do I have a
non-od one out of a dolomite (which I think would fit onto a spit) that
you can have for free if you can arrange collection/delivery.

There's always ways out of these predicaments, just sometimes they may
take a while to present themselves.

Good luck anyhow,
John

http://sbc.yahoo.com