Re: Car-o-Scope (pointless fun)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Car-o-Scope (pointless fun)
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 11:07:56 +0100
In article <+yzrul7ELBr8EwlF@hargreave-mawson.demon.co.uk>, Michael
Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com> writes
>In article <005601c1db73$ef97a7a0$1900a2c6@anne>, Anne Garren
><algarren@main.nc.us> writes
>>Me too :)) Can't wait to see what comes up...
>>
>>Anne
>>

>>>OK, I've just done the same test.   I'll report back to the list with
>>>the results when they appear.
>
>OK, here are my results (with my comments interspersed in brackets):

<snip>

On mature reflection, I decided to complete the full car survey on the
Car-O-Scope site.   At the end of this is space for a short essay.
Here's what I wrote:

I filled out the Car-O-Scope questionnaire yesterday, and got my results
this morning.   You guys are nuts.

How can you possibly say that I am too fond of taking risks to drive a
Triumph Spitfire?   Driving a Spit is all about taking risks.   Will the
engine keep running?   Will any really important parts fall off?   Will
the engine over-heat before I reach my destination/the end of my street?
Will I survive a side-impact from a six-year-old on a tricycle?

OK, I grant you I'm cheap - but a 1970s Spit is the cheapest sports-car
you can buy, so where's the problem?   Running costs are pretty low,
too, once you've fixed all the mechanical, electrical and bodywork
problems...

I care too much for my car to be a Spitfire driver?   Really?   If you
don't spend all your waking life caring for a Spitfire, it rusts away.
All Spitfire owners of my acquaintance care excessively for their cars.
They have to.   What other car requires you to mop up the oil leaks on
the garage floor twice daily?   Or to sacrifice chickens to the great
and malevolent god, Lucas, who shines the dim and intermittent light of
his countenance over the car's electrical system?

And what do you mean by suggesting that a Spitfire is inadequate to
assuage my uncontrollable snobbery?   Despite having a maximum speed of
only 108 (downhill, with the wind behind it), this car has snob-appeal.
I've lost count of the number of impressionable fools who have asked me,
"Is that a Lotus?" or said, "Cor, I bet that goes fast!".

In conclusion: you can't be too risk-loving, too cheap, too caring or
too snobbish to drive a Spit!

ATB

--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"