Re: Huh?? Rear sway bar??

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Huh?? Rear sway bar??
From: PorscheRcr@aol.com
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 01:21:15 EDT
In a message dated 06/20/2001 4:28:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
wmmk1@informatics.net writes:

<< It eliminates at least 90 % of the movement of the rear suspension and
makes your Spitfire ride very, very rough!! >>

Having used a rear sway bar on the Beetle I raced (also a swing axle like the
Spitfire and of similar weight), I'd disagree.  My guess is either the bar
you had was poorly designed (binding or just too large) or not installed
correctly.  When going over 2 wheel bumps (both rears in this case) the
swaybar makes very little difference.  On single wheel bump it will add some
stiffness, though it shouldn't be bone-jarring unless design or installation
problems exist.  I've driven Beetles on the street and Autocross course with
both a swaybar and camber compensator and prefer the swaybar by far.  The
camber compensator always made the back of the car feel vague to me.
My $.02 worth... :)

Bill J
'68 GT8

Bill J