Re: Huh?? Rear sway bar??

To: PorscheRcr@aol.com
Subject: Re: Huh?? Rear sway bar??
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 22:45:13 -0700
That is probably because the sway bar you had was a much different type than
what is commonly used on Spits.  Every one I have seen used on a Spitfire
had the same very harsh ride.  If you install one be sure to buy yourself a
kidney belt!

As for the Camber compensator, the two products should not be mentioned in the
same breath.  They do completely different things.  The sway bar is to
check body roll.  The camber compensator is to check wheel tuck that is common
in swing axle cars under hard cornering.  The Spits that need the
camber compensators are the early ones that fortunately don't really need a
rear sway bar because the roll stiffness is sufficient that when you
dearch the rear spring the car handles incredibly well without the need for a
rear sway bar.

The later (swing-spring) models on the other hand don't have that sort of roll
stiffness.  But don't get me started on that!!!

Regards,
Joe