Re: Insurance

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <Tep735@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Insurance
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 13:08:41 -0400
Classic tags are not the same thing as classic car insurances.  The two do not
have to run together.

Classic tags are pretty easy to get, and don't cause much trouble.  The state
basically assumes you abide by the regulations of not driving the car a lot.
Often times cutting you a break on inspections, emissions, fees and such.  It's
very much a gentlemans agreement.

Classic insurance is another matter entirely.  They usually require you to be
of a given age, already have another vehicle as a primary driver, keep the
classic car in a locked garage, limit you on mileage, limit you on where you
can drive, etc etc etc.  This stuff is not necessarily nice at all.

I've got two vehicles with historic tags on them.  My Spitfire, which has
classic car insurance on it.  My Fiat has regular insurance.  It costs me a
little bit more for the regular insurance, but it makes the car much more
usable.  No hysterics over where I park it, when I drove it, why I drove it,
where I drove it, how many miles I drove it, etc.

Allstate for the regular insurance, Great American for the classic (think
that's the name).

>>> "Tep735" <Tep735@email.msn.com> 06/20 12:51 PM >>>
It has come time to get my spit insured for the first time since I purchased
it. I want to get classic tags for it but I'm running into a little trouble.
I am 18 years old and so far every agency that insures classic cars says
that I have to be either 25 years old or have a driver's licence for 10
years. This seems a little unfair because I have owned and restored this car
for 2 years. Any suggestions? What insurance do you have?