Rear shocks broke.. WHY

To: "spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear shocks broke.. WHY
From: "Chip Kigar" <ckigar@sound.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:52:32 -0500
A couple of months ago, I did the wheel bearing and u-joints on my rear
axles.  At that time, I replaced the shock bushing with poly ones from V.
Brits and torqued to spec (from the haynes book).
I've noticed a KLUNK lately and investigated today.  I found that both of
the shocks had separated from the upper mounting point at the end of the
steel rod.  I'll be shopping for shocks but would like comments and clues...
Could the fault lie in the bushings not providing enough flex/swivel? Has
anyone else managed this same trick?

Chip

Visit my DYI circle cutting jig page at:
http://www.sound.net/~ckigar/circle.htm