Spitfire oil pressure - concerns - considerations

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Spitfire oil pressure - concerns - considerations
From: "Ptegler" <ptegler@gouldfo.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:22:25 -0400
Well I know not too many of you are running
oil pressure gauges in your Spits....

But does anyone know the specs for hot idle on
a stock (not high volume) pump?

Cold startup, I'm running easily over 70psi.
But when it warms up at an idle of 600-800rpm
the press will fall all the way down to less than
20 on the gauge.

I thought this was a bit low. Isn't the anti run-on
valve designed to kick in at 15 psi? Wouldn't this
stall my engine via breathing fresh air though
 the valve?

Yes I have an oil cooler, with no leaks. The system
has an oil thermostat right in the takeoff plate so I know
I'm not over pressurizing the cooler with thick cold oil.

Up and running (hot) above 2000 rpm the system will
maintain 40+ psi but the idle press at 20- has me a
bit concerned.

Should I seriously consider the idea of an aging
oil pump (tolerances) just can't move the oil properly?

By comparison, My MG Midget with the same gauge,
also seems to respond much quicker to pressure
changes. (The Spit gauge is much newer.. stiffer?)
The Midget will drop to 20 psi at an idle but the manuals state
this to be the spec for a warmed up engine.

I use Castrol 20/50.  After much reading on the various oils,
I realize the C 20/50 VI index is not all that great. Should I
consider something like the Quakerstate 20/50 or the
straight 50 for summer driving?

...thoughts..concerns...ideas.... anyone?

Paul Tegler     ptegler@gouldfo.com    www.teglerizer.com