Re: Cylinder Compression

To: <rtgetzinger@scif.com>
Subject: Re: Cylinder Compression
From: "Mike Ross" <mikeross@Prodigy.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:20:22 -0400
I used a small rubber hose to listen through and noted air escaping
from the oil dipstick hole (with the dipstick out).  This tells me I
must have air leaking past the piston rings.
When I hear air escaping from the tail pipe, I must have air leaking
past the exhaust valves.  Air escaping through the carburetor intake
tells me I have air leaking past the intake valves.

I'm no expert, but this made sense to me.  I was hoping someone could
validate my interpretation of the test results.

Mike           http://pages.prodigy.net/mikeross
'63 Spitfire
'66 Spitfire
'68 Spitfire (donor body tub for GT6 convertible)
'69 GT6+  (donor chassis for GT6 convertible)
'70 GT6+