Windshield woes

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Windshield woes
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 06:44:35 -0700
The night before last I finished, with the help of my brother in law,
installing a brand new windshield and OEM seal (waited almost two years for
the "original" style Triplex screen to be delivered, it's a long story)
after freshly painting my 72 Spitfire.  The morning after it was installed
it cracked, just sitting there, obviously from being over stressed.   Now
it was one of the most difficult windscreens to install, actually taking
several hours (yes hours) and I have installed a few in my time, but never
have I had such a hard time as installing this one.
Some time ago I was talking to Charles (of the Roadster factory, when I was
getting my windscreen) and he was saying that at that time they were having
problems with Triplex windscreens and I'm wondering if I got on of those
problem ones.    Obviously, this one was highly stressed, possibly it was
slightly too large judging by the difficulty of installation, and I half
joked that it would crack the first time the sun hit it.   That will teach
me and the sun didn't even have a chance to shine on it!.  Needless to say
I was REALLY disappointed after finding out mine cracked - Now I'll have to
replace what was a brand new one (not to mention I'm out the $150 bucks for
the windscreen and seal) and I don't relish doing this job again,
especially on a freshly painted surround!  I am really, REALLY bummed
Anybody else have any serious problems with installation and breakage of
their Triplex windscreens?