Re: heat insulation

To: mark holbrook <rolling_rock_12@yahoo.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: heat insulation
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 09:23:40 -0400
A few months ago I lined my tunnel cover with that foam-in-a-spray-can
stuff you can get at hardware stores.

It turned out to be a lot of work, mostly because the stuff expanded
a lot more than I expected, and I had to carve away about 2/3 of
the foam that I applied.  Also, it shrank a bit as it hardened,
and the tension tried to pull the sides of the cover towards each other,
cracking the front rim in a couple of places.  (I reinforced it with
epoxy and fibreglass strips.)

The final result was excellent, though.  The cover is a lot firmer and
better damped.  And even after driving in city traffic in 85-degree weather,
the sides and top of the cover are barely warm (while the firewall is too
hot to touch!)

Some tips, if you decide to try it:

1: Use a minimal-expanding foam to avoid having to carve out too much
later.  When you carve it, you lose the "skin" that gives extra
strength and protection.

2: Study where parts of the transmission get close to the
cover, where you will probably have to carve a little anyway.
Also note that to get the cover on and off, you have to keep
the foam quite thin along the very top (like 1/2" thick).
I have O/D, which meant a lot more carving towards the rear.

3: Attach a temporary brace (e.g. a piece of wood) between the front
bottom corners, to maintain the cover's shape.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit