Re: heat insulation

To: mark holbrook <rolling_rock_12@yahoo.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: heat insulation
From: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 09:52:21 -0400
I used a two-layered approach - first was "high-temp mastic" from
McMaster-Carr www.mcmaster.com - this is the exact same thing as "Dynomat"
for 1/5 the price. This is sound insulation. Then I used the aluminum foil
covered bubble-wrap stuff from Home Depot over that. I did all of this over
the OUTSIDE of the tunnel. My dash support still fit over it just fine,
plenty of clearance. Why bother to try to do this underneath, exposed to
the elements? The outside is covered with carpet anyway. I have a rubbery
plastic transmission tunnel, this made a HUGE difference. Actually, I did
the whole floor of my car with this approach.

Another thing I did was make side panels for the area between the dash
support and the firewall. Simple vinyl covered masonite panels, couple
screws into the trans. tunnel at the bottom to hold them in place. Covers
up all the radio wiring and looks much tidier!

Kevin Rhodes
Freddy the Spit