Re: Brake Bleeding

To: frandrum@voicenet.com
Subject: Re: Brake Bleeding
From: "T. .R. Dafforn" <td214@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 16:37:30 +0100
About a year ago I fitted a complete new brake system to my spit (excluding
calipers,
which were good enough just to recondition). Then bled the system using DOT5
Silicon
fluif. Could not get a firm pedal!!
Spoke to the list, got lots of suggestions, then we had 1 month of rain.
Couldn't work on
the car as it was in the garden!!
Came out after a month and pressed the pedal. Brakes as hard as a rock!! and
hence have
changed nothing since..
Not sure why this happened, but it did!
Not sure wether it helps?
Cheers
Tim
frandrum@voicenet.com wrote:

> Hi Listers,
>
> I recently read a Nolan Penney statement that air rises in a closed hydraulic
>system
> making it difficult to bleed the system.
>
> Since I am in the process of replacing my OEM 72 Spit lines with SS
>brakelines should I
> anticipate difficulty in bleeding the system?  Will a power bleeder solve the
>problem?
>
> Thanks gang.
>
> Frank
> Drummond

Tim Dafforn
University of Cambridge
Structural Medicine Unit
Cambridge Institute for Medical Research
Wellcome Trust Centre for Molecular Mechanisms of Disease
Hills Rd, Cambridge CB2 2XY.
UK
Tel. (01223) 763230
Fax. (01223) 336827