Pinion oil seal

To: "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pinion oil seal
From: "Gary Hutton" <hutton@evansville.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 19:42:23 -0500
Help!!  I got ambitious and decided to replace my propeller shaft
u-joint and the leaking pinion oil seal on my 76 1500.  Following all
steps in the repair/op manual I have the nut, washer, and diff pinion
flange off w/o too much problem.  At this point I'm supposed to be able
to pry out the old seal but I find that it is covered by some sort of
protective metal covering that looks to be an integral part of the diff
mounting plate.  I don't have another spit to compare against so I'm in
a bind. Is there a removable protective cover over the seal or do I
actually have to remove that entire mounting plate to get to that oil
seal?  This situation doesn't seem to be covered in any of the manuals
I've got on hand.

Any input is definitely appreciated.

Gary Hutton
Newburgh, IN