Re: DOT 5 Purging Juice

To: "D T Gebhard" <kimkell@decaturnet.com>, "Fred Thomas"
Subject: Re: DOT 5 Purging Juice
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 07:36:33 -0700
Just to set the record straight, I opted to change all the rubber seals in
my braking system after flushing it all with denatured alcohol because I
simply wanted to do so as a precationary measure.  My car had not been
driven (at least with brakes) in years and I was rebuilding the M/C and
calipers anyway.  My point was that if you're going through the effort of
converting to DOT 5, you should replace the rubber regardless.  The rubber
is cheap and easy to swap out.  I also didn't want there to be any lingering
doubts about the effects of DOT 4, alcohol and then DOT 5 interacting with
each other on the seals.  BTW, it's been a year and a half since I converted
and the fluid is still clear purple and the brakes are terrific.  Steel
braided flex lines will be added when I'm completing the frame off
restoration.

Take care,

Jeff McNeal (San Diego)

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
'68 LHD Spitfire Mk3 project
home of the FREE Totally Triumph Auction
The Totally Triumph Garage forums  -- organized, illustrated, friendly!
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi
and the Totally Triumph Classifieds -- photo ads with advanced features
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi