Motor Gurus

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Motor Gurus
From: A666K@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 19:44:53 EDT
Hello all,
-I finished rebuilding my motor and finally got it fired up. Broke in the new
cam and adjusted everything to spec. I would like to get some opinions on a
problem I am experiencing.

-Problem: The engine will start missing at around 2000-2500 rpm. It will let
me rev higher if I just a blip it, but if I try and drive it, the revs will
just drop when they hit that range. (It starts missing and the tach starts
dropping.)

-The engine: It is now a 40 over, 9.6:1 compression, 1534 cc motor. The head
received porting and bigger inlet valves. I am using the same carb (DGV),
ignition (Crane xr3000) as before the rebuild. but a new 4-2-1 Rimmer header.
The cam comes from TSI (275), and is new.

-Diagnosis: The carb is untouched, so this is suspect, as the engine flows
better then before.  The (electric) tach seems to be dropping quicker then
the engine, could the ignition be bad?

-Questions: How can I better diagnose the problem? Any other suggestions?

Any comment will be greatly appreciated.
TIA,
Avi& Cheech the '78 Spit