Re: UJoints - clunk mystery solved

To: "Kevin Rhodes" <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: UJoints - clunk mystery solved
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 20:46:40 -0400
> Haynes shows someone holding an axle in their hand and tapping it to get
> the joint cups out - what crack are they smoking over there? It took an
> anvil, a couple of sockets and a 5lb lead hammer to get mine out after
> soaking in PB Blaster for 1/2 day and heating them with a torch.

Hate to tell ya Kevin, but there is an easier way... You need a good sized
bench mount vise, and a large socket, and a medium socket... Here's whatcha
do:
Remove the offending shaft from the vehicle(drive, propeller, what have you)
and open the vise wide. Remove the snap rings, and place the u-joint section
into the jaws of the vise. Put the large socket on one side, cuppy side
towards the u-joint, and another socket, slightly smaller than the diameter
of the u-joint cap, on the other side. Then start tightening the vise. The
pressure will press out the u-joint from one side. You may need to reverse
the setup, and do it the other way for the second cup, but usually not. You
repeat the actions for the other arm of the u-joint. Very simple and non
destructive way to do it. Took me years to find that trick- I didn't invent
it, but I found it :) All you have to do is reverse the procedure, without
the big cup, but with a snap ring installed, to install the u-joint.

I have done this cold- no soaking, etc. and it works great. You may also
adapt the technology to other things, but thats up to you.

Print it out, and save it for next time. :)

Scott

///